My New Favorite Teacher Tool for Feedback: My iPad!


I love my 1:1 classroom. G Suite has opened up so many possibilities for learning in my 7th grade science classes. But, honestly, I have struggled to give timely feedback using 1:1 instruction. I love 1:1 and so do my students, but I find myself peering over their shoulders trying to see their small chrome-book screens with my 40-something eyes, or going home with hundreds of digital documents to give feedback on, almost daily. I have tried carrying my MacBook around to see student work as it is being created and give feedback in a more timely manner, but this is awkward and creates a kind of physical barrier between me and my students. I often made it to 2 or 3 kids before setting down my laptop and forgetting it while helping students face-to-face with questions or concerns. 

So, this month, I tried something new, I brought in my old iPad and it was fabulous! I bookmarked all my Google Classroom pages and more importantly, the Google Drive Classroom folder for each class.  I walked easily around the room with my iPad open to my Google Drive and displaying thumbnails of my students' work in progress. 

Use thumbnails to look at Classroom folder in Google Drive

I could help a student face-to-face with my iPad tucked under my arm. Then I'd stand behind another student, but pop open the document of a student across the room to see their work. Instead of using the COMMENT button, I gave students positive and constructive verbal feedback from across the room. "Good job, Jason, you used the word "molecules" - nice use of scientific vocab! "Meredith, you used the word "burn" - can you explain your thinking about that? What happens when something burns?"  I could see the gears turning in my students brains. Six or seven other people looked up after each comment and then went back to revise their work... I could almost see them thinking "Science vocab - did I do that?" or "I used that word, I better explain." My student's work was so much more detailed and thoughtful than in previous iterations. 

It doesn't seem like carrying an iPad instead of a MacBook would make that much of a difference, but to an active teacher, trying to manage behavior and give timely feedback to 30 different 13 year-olds every hour, it made a huge difference, and even better, it's increased my understanding of my students' progress while cutting down on the amount of digital homework I give myself!  #LoveMyIpad

Comments